USERNAMES AND POSTINGS
Comments or other information posted by you to our forums, wikis or other areas of the Sites designed for public communications or communications among registered members may be viewed and downloaded by others who visit the Sites. For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding whether to post any information that can be used to identify you to those forums (or other public or classwide areas).
CONSENT TO PROCESSING OUTSIDE HOME COUNTRY
If you do not agree with these terms, then please do not access, browse, or register for the Sites. If you choose not to provide us with certain information required to provide you with various services offered on our Sites, you may not be able to establish a user account and we may not be able to provide you with those services.
We endeavor to limit the collection of Personal Information to what we need with respect to specific Site activities in order to satisfy business, legal, or regulatory requirements. For example, if you wish to achieve an ID Verified Certificate of Competence, we will collect certain Personal Information necessary to authenticate your identity, as described in greater detail in the Terms of Service. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication information, then you will not be able to achieve a certificate via the Sites.
Blue Planet Life association does not currently collect financial information from you; however, if you choose to achieve an ID Verified Certificate of Competence, you will be directed to our third party payment processor; and the submission of your payment information will be subject to the terms found at the payment landing page accessible via Terms of Service.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect information, including Personal Information (described above), when you sign up for a user account, participate in online courses, register for a certificate, send us email messages and/or participate in our public forums. We also collect certain usage information about trainee performance and patterns of learning. In addition, we track information indicating, among other things, which pages of our Sites were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used.
We may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software used by each user of the Sites, and we may be able to determine from an IP address a user's Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of his or her point of connectivity. Various web analytics tools are used to collect this information. Some of the information is collected through cookies (small text files placed on your computer that store information about you, which can be accessed by the Sites). You should be able to control how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the "Help" section of the toolbar. If you reject our cookies, many functions and conveniences of the Sites may not work properly.
USE AND DISCLOSURE TO THIRD PARTIES
Among other things, we may use the information about you collected through the Sites (including your Personal Information) in connection with the following. In cases where we share or disclose your Personal Information: (1) the third party recipients are required to handle the Personal Information in a confidential manner and to maintain adequate security to protect the information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, and destruction; and (2) we will only disclose and share the Personal Information that is required by the third party to fulfill the purpose stated at the time of collection.
- To enable the Members to provide, administer, and improve the courses.
- To help us and the Members improve Blue Planet Life association offerings, both individually (e.g., by course staff when working with a student) and in aggregate, and to individualize the experience and to evaluate the access and use of the Sites and the impact of Blue Planet Life association on the worldwide educational community.
- For purposes of scientific research.
- For the purpose for which you specifically provided the information, for example, to respond to a specific inquiry or provide you with access to the specific course content and/or services you select.
- To track both individual and aggregate attendance, progress and completion of an online course, and to analyze statistics on trainee performance and how trainees learn.
- To monitor and detect violations of the Honor Code, the Terms of Service, as well as other misuses and potential misuses of the Sites.
- To publish information, but not Personal Information, gathered about Blue Planet Life association access, use, impact, and student performance.
- To send you updates about online courses offered by Blue Planet Academy or other events, to send you communications about products or services of Blue Planet Life association, Blue Planet Life association affiliates, or selected business partners that may be of interest to you, or to send you email messages about Sites maintenance or updates.
- To archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- To maintain and improve the functioning and security of the Sites and our software, systems, and network.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- To authenticate your identity when you register for a certificate.
- To process refunds, as applicable.
We will share information we collect with the Members, and we and the Members may share this information (including Personal Information) with third parties as follows:
- With service providers or contractors that perform certain functions on our behalf, including processing information that you provide to us on the Sites, processing purchases via third party providers, and other transactions through the Sites, operating the Sites or portions of it, providing or administering courses, or in connection with other aspects of Blue Planet Life association services.
- With other visitors to the Sites, to the extent that you submit comments, course work, or other information or content (collectively, "Postings") to a portion of the Sites designed for public communications; and with other members of an Blue Planet Life Academy class of which you are a member, to the extent you submit Postings to a portion of the Sites designed for viewing by those class members. We may provide your Postings to trainees who later enroll in the same classes as you, within the context of the forums, the courseware, or otherwise. If we do re-post your Postings originally made to non-public portions of the Sites, we will post them without your real name and e-mail (except with your express permission), but we may use your username without your consent.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education. However, we will only share Personal Information about you for this purpose to the extent doing so complies with applicable law and is limited to the Personal Information required to fulfill the purposes stated at the time of collection.
- To provide opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals. For instance, we may recommend specific training partners or connect potential trainee mentees and trainers. In such cases, we may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but we will only provide other users your username, and not disclose your real name or e-mail address to your contact.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- For integration with third party services. For example, videos and other content may be hosted on YouTube and other websites not controlled by Blue Planet Life association.
In addition, we may share aggregated information that does not personally identify you with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners.
USE FOR PERSONALIZATION AND PEDAGOGICAL IMPROVEMENTS
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Blue Planet Life association has a program designed to protect Personal Information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures, including administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the Personal Information that it creates, receives, maintains, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, Blue Planet Life association cannot guarantee its absolute security.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer us to delete, or would like your access to be removed, please contact us.
Effective Date: July 1, 2016